Kaufman Field Guide to Mammals of North America
- Covers every species of wild mammal known to occur in North America north of Mexico, including the offshore waters — 450 species in all
- Illustrated with more than 1,100 images based on photos
- Detailed range maps show where each species is common or rare
- Lively, informative text describes the habits of each species, as well as identification marks
- Extended treatment for some species of particular interest: for example, full page of text and 13 illustrations for Gray Wolf; full page of text and 9 illustrations for Polar Bear; full page of text and 10 illustrations for White-tailed Deer; full page of text and 6 illustrations for Humpback Whale
- Diagrams showing typical tracks for many species
- Marine mammals are illustrated with paintings showing the whole animal as it would appear underwater and with photos to show what can be seen above the water’s surface
- “Pictorial Table of Contents” to help readers navigate quickly to the correct section of the book for each animal
Published in 2004, the Kaufman Field Guide to Mammals of North America was designed for use by anyone who is curious about the natural world. More than 50 top nature photographers contributed the photos which were then digitally edited to produce the most lifelike and accurate illustrations available anywhere. This guide makes the perfect companion for visits to National Parks, State Parks, Provincial Parks, National Wildlife Refuges, coastal whale-watching areas, or anyplace else where encounters with wild animals are likely.
Nora Bowers and Rick Bowers, principal authors of the guide, are renowned naturalists and photographers, with much of their fine nature photography on display at BowersPhoto.com. In working on this guide, they were able to draw on their own experience with (and photos of) bears in Canada, bats in Texas, seals in Alaska, whales in the Atlantic, marmots in Montana, and a wide diversity of mammals in Arizona, where they live. Rick and Nora have provided a major percentage of the photographs used in all of the guides in this series so far, and they have also coauthored and illustrated popular guides to the cacti and wildflowers of several states.
Kaufman Field Guide to Mammals of North America. Originally published (2004) as Kaufman Focus Guide to Mammals of North America. Houghton Mifflin Co., Boston. ISBN: 978-0-618-95188-8.
Author: Nora Bowers, Rick Bowers, and Kenn Kaufman
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Co.
Buy Now: Buteo Books